Sunday, June 1, 2014

Ahoy-hoy

Welcome aboard, strangers. My name is Mike. I live in Philadelphia, and I'm a part of that so-called "green collar workforce" you might have heard some talking head mention on TV. I'm starting this project as a way to reform myself a little bit. You see, I spend my days helping people use less energy in their houses, through a combination of home repairs and customer education. I like what I do, and I believe it's important for any number of reasons, but I feel that I'm not holding up my end of the bargain as much as I could. I sometimes don't take my own advice, and it makes me feel like a terrible hypocrite.

I'm going to be using this blog to examine my own carbon footprint, figure out exactly what a carbon footprint is, and make changes in my day-to-day life to help reduce my impact. You know, tread lightly and all that. I'm going to keep it reasonable; I rent an apartment, and I'm in no position to buy an electric car. But I'm sure that there are little things I could be doing without even going out of my way, and if you're reading this, maybe you could do them, too.

As for the content here, I like to keep it light where I can. No sense taking one's self too seriously. I'm shooting for weekly updates, but we'll see how that goes. If there's an important or relevant link, I'll just leave it as a URL; links in the text will probably be funny pictures or something. Things will of course be work safe. And on the subject of work, I'll try my best to go easy on specifics, but of course, my words and opinions are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.

I hope to start my project in earnest sometime this week. I'll talk at you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment